September 28, 2017
Addressing the first UNEP conference of the Parties (COP 1), in Geneva, Dr. Mahmood A.Khwaja senior adviser, Chemicals and Sustainable Industrial development, emphasized expedited support to developing countries, through capacity building, technical assistance & technology transfer, for sound chemicals management/safe guarding public health.
Over 1500 delegates from 152 countries (including 2 Presidents and several Minister/Vice Ministers of Environment) participated in COP 1
Policy Briefs for Sustainable Development in Pakistan
Includes 15 policy briefs on mercury/chemical and Sustainable Industry Development, as well as climate change, economy, trade and governance.
Available for download from the Sustainable Policy Development Institute http://www.sdpi.org/publications/publication_details-845-60.html
3 Summer Courses in Occupational and Environmental Health
Three international courses on Occupational Health and Safety and Environmental Health are planned for northern hemisphere summer 2017:
- “Global Occupational and Environmental Determinants of Diseases: a multidisciplinary approach for prevention”, July 10-14, at the University of Brescia, Italy;
- The “Advanced International Training Course in Occupational and Environmental Health”, July 17-21, at the Chulabhorn Research Institute in Bangkok, Thailand;
- “Teaching interventions crossing borders“ , August 21st-September 1st, at the Ludwig Maximillian University of Munich, Germany.
A SHARED Future Report
T’Sou-ke Nation March 20-22, 2017
The inaugural team meeting for ‘A SHARED Future’ (Achieving Strength, Health, and Autonomy through Renewable Energy Development for the Future) took place across three days, hosted by T’Sou-ke Nation. It was the first meeting for this new program of research funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR).
Asthma Primer featured at Nature.com
Asthma: authored by ST Holgate, S Wenzel, DS Postma, ST Weiss, H Renz and PD Sly in 2015, Asthma Primer was featured at Nature.com during January 2017.
Dr MA Khwaja’s book
Annals of Global Health
- Children’s Health in a Changing Global Environment
- Ensuring a Bright Future for Children’s Environmental Health
- Health Consequences of Environmental Exposures: Changing Global Patterns of Exposure and Disease
- Health Consequences of Environmental Exposures in Early Life: Coping with a Changing World in the Post-MDG Era
Reviews on Environmental Health special edition
This edition contains output from the 2015 Conference
ABC Catalyst: Our Chemical Lives
Dr Maryanne Demasi investigates the safety of chemicals found in everyday products and compares the level of chemicals in her own body with clean living convert and media personality Sarah Wilson.
The primary purpose of this seven minute video, presented by Dr Bruce Lanphear, is to help people understand the population impact of exposures to environmental toxins. After studying the impact of toxins on children for many years researchers have reached the conclusion that “little things matter”. The presentation is very graphical and easy to follow and ends with a list of suggestions to help avoid exposure to toxins.
Please email email@example.com if you have any recent news items that you wish to have considered for inclusion on the News page